Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Near Miss

Yesterday, we had a string of thunderstorms come through the area. Several of which produced tornados. Of course Rob was at work and the kids and I were at home. The tornado sirens went off and I flipped on the TV expecting the warning to be for the Oklahoma City metro area. To my suprise I find that most of the metro is being skirted but the storms are headed right towards Edmond (where we live). This is fairly unusual - we rarely have tornados hit in this part of town and February is also tad early for major storms like this (especially long strings of "tornadic super cells" as the weatherpeople call them). So I'm watching the weather and they say to expect up to tennis ball size hail. I panic. Our garage is a disaster area - no room for the car. So I haul my pregnant but out there and shove everything to the wall s as fast as I can so I can get the car inside, which thankfully I do before the weather gets really bad. Then the kids and I huddle in our safe spot covered in pillows and beanbag chairs when the power goes out. The kids are freaking out about no lights and all the thunder and lightning and then the hail starts (as I thank God I got the car inside). About a half hour later the power came back on and Rob called to check on me and the kids. We of course were fine. Turns out the tornado touched down about a half mile to our west then picked back up and touched down again to our north east. Lucky! So in case anyone saw it on the news - We are OK in OK.

1 comment:

Kaelene Reel said...

I don't know how you do it. I don't think I could. Eric's dad and step mom went through Katrina in Gulf Port and they moved back up here before the next hurricane season. You are a brave soul!! Glad to hear everything and everyone is safe.