Friday, October 16, 2009

Here I go again...

It's official: I am going back to school. After four different colleges, countless major changes, and a short stint in cosmetology school (yep, I'm a beauty school dropout) I quit to raise a family. One husband and three kids (plus 2 cats and a bunch of fish) later, I am ready to try again. This time I actually intend to finish what I started all those years ago. After fortuitously stumbling upon a government program that helps military wives pay for education towards a "portable career," I applied to Columbia Southern University. ( I also qualified for a Pell Grant so pretty much everything will be paid for - Hooray!!) It is the same school that Rob graduated from, and is 100% online. The "portable career" stipulation gave me limited choices as to what degree I could pursue, so I have chosen a B.S. in Hospitality and Tourism. Considering that working for my parents jet boat tour business was the best job I have ever had and that the industry is widespread and varied I think I will be able to find a career to my liking within this field (more so than IT, healthcare, or the other choices available at least). At first glance I am thinking about event planning or possibly hotel managment. Though, I am excited to learn what other careers are available. Heck, I am excited to learn period. My first classes (Orientation, Principles of Microeconomics, and Intro to Tourism) will start on November 30th. Luckily, the school took a ton of my transfer credits. I only have one general education class (Microeconomics) to take and the rest are all within my area of study. Hopefully, I will be able to successfully go to school while raising three kids (virtually on my own for a very large chunk of next year) and keeping up with the house and whatnot. Wish me luck or better yet wish me patience! Cause here I go... again.

Hahaha. Now I have that song stuck in my head: "Here I go again on my own. Going down the only road I've ever known. Like a drifter I was born to walk alone....."
I will stop now before it gets stuck in your head too.

I don't know if any of my readers (there are readers out there right???) are military wives or know any. But if you are or know one the program is called myCAA (my career advancement account). They will pay up to $6000 towards education for a portable career. Check it out if you think you might be eligable.

3 comments:

Kaelene Reel said...

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a lil jealous. I figure the only time I can hit the books again is when Caiti is in school (just a few more years). I love my job, but I'm "yearning" for science and not computer science, Bio, Chem,... all that fun stuff. I might try to add some Theology in the mix. I still have a lil time to think. Good luck, and I'm sure you will do great at whatever road you decide to venture down. Somehow, three kids makes it just that much more harder, but well worth it.

Lacey said...

Well the fact that Rob supports us financially and I don't have to work yet helps with the time issue. I'm with you on the three kids making it a challenge though. Hopefully the stars will align for you and you will be able to pursue your dreams again.

Jen said...

Congratulations on going back to school. Throwing children into the mix seems like it would be challenging. Just living daily life with ONE child is a constant adventure. I can't imagine school on top of that (and 3 kids!!). If I ever go back, I'll have to ask you for tips on how to get all your study time in. :)