Sunday, June 6, 2010

Backyard Water Park

So, Auntie Shar is out for a visit and Nanny sent us a package. We love packages here, and get very excited about their arrival. The girls were very pleased to find new swimming suits and beach towels! Hurray, Thank you, Nanny!!!! What's that? There is MORE? Yep, we got to go pick out new sandals for summer too. What more could a couple of kids want? Auntie got a secret note that instructed her to take us on a magical voyage to Target. While we were there, exploring the outdoor fun section we managed to loose our minds just a tiny bit. We couldn't find exactly what was on our shopping list so instead we got the "Cannonball Slide,"(more on that in a minute), an inflatable pool (more on that too), a tiny wading pool for the babe (oh yes more here too), and Auntie couldn't pass up a giant pack of water balloons (nothing further on this at present). Later Auntie returned tot he store and came back with Princess camping chairs, popcicles, and verious other goodies. Can you say "shopping spree"? Sure, you can.... Of course once we got back to the house we could hardly contain ourselves. So we plopped the kids in front of a movie with some snacks and went outside to play....I mean set everything up. What an adventure that was. We opened everything up and decided to erect the shade canopy over where we were going to put the inflatable pool to keep the kids from getting to sunburned. Yeah, I just have to say that during the course of setting up said canopy I managed to nearly knock myself out. I have a HUGE bruise and scrape on my chin. Anyway, we eventually figured that out. Then I brought the air compressor to the back yard to blow up all of the inflatables (heck there was no way I was gonna blow 'em up on lung power). Of course, being an amateur compressor user this was it's own adventure. Especially since I forgot to plug the quick release valve on the pool and lost air as fast as I pumped it in. Yeah. Go ahead, laugh. I thought it was funny too. Once that problem was sorted we got everything inflated and began filling things with water. Cold water from the hose was great since it was 100 degrees this weekend. However we decided to take the canopy off in hopes that the sun would warm up the water. Of course we started having so much fun we forgot to put it back on and ended up all being rather burnt. Oh well. They kids were finally released from captivity and allowed to partake in the joys of backyard swimming and sliding. Now the Cannonball Splash Slide is a small wading pool aty the end of a blow up slide. Nothing major, the kids are 5, 3, and 11 months. But man did they have a blast. And so did Auntie and I. Yep we certainly did test the wieght limit of that slide (which I believe was about 100lbs). So far it hasn't popped, and we aren't gonna stop sliding til it does. Hahaha. Of course, being the creative sort that we are, the kids decided to put the slide in the larger (about 10x6) pool. Auntie got in with them and helped them slide down. I watched from the porch with Bennett. Wheels started turning. Yes, most mothers would probably worry for the safety of their children, but not I. I decided to place the splash pool at the bottom of our regular slide and run the hose up to the top making a steeper slide! It rocked. Yep we tried that out too. Don't worry...nothing is broken...yet. Now The girls just jumped right into everything and played their little hearts out. Bennett, my boy, well, he is another story. I got him all dolled up in his swim gear and slathered him down with sunscreen and took him outside. There was about an inch of water in his teensy splash pool so I though hey he should be able to just sit right down and splash, as long as I am right here he won't freak out. Not so. A toe touched the water and he screamed like the was the spawn of the Wicked Witch of the West. I tell you, the neighbors probably thought some one cut that kids leg off. So we went tot he bigger splash pool at the end of the slide. Yeah, I'm no quitter! I sat down and put him on my lap and poured the water over his toes with my hand. Still, my little man screams like a banshee! Yikes. So Instead of torcher the poor kid I brought out the pack 'n' play to the back porch and filled it up with toys, cheerios, and a cup of prune juice. Hog heaven let me tell you. Now I would very much like to post some video of all the "action," and I may try....but bear with me, I am having some technical difficulties. So for now a collage of pictures will have to suffice.


**In case you are wondering what the front yard pictures are for: We planted som thyme in the front garden and picked out some "accessories" for the garden. And I put some fake flowers in the pot by the front door that I always forget to water so that it doesn't look dead all the time.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Ha! So cool, I toally cracked up reading your blog! So funny! Pics are too cute. K gotta be mom though and say put that shade back up, no burning my babies! Hehehe!!!! That sun is so dangerous. I'm so happy summer is starting out so exciting. Have a blast! P.S. Bennett looks so BIG on that bike!

Kaelene Reel said...

It's nice to see someone enjoying nice weather. In the last week we've had 3 near misses on flash floods, and rain, rain, rain. But I can't complain.. my yard has never been greener and I'm getting a back yard. Have fun with all those cool water toys. I'm jealous. :)

Lacey said...

K- feel free to trek on out to the heat and humidity, we would be happy to share. Hope you survive the downpour!